Monday, December 26, 2011

Chicken and Chickpeas and Chicken with Rice and Mushrooms

My big friday cook was pretty well organized.  My goal was to cook enough for the week (plus a little to freeze) and to cook everything I got (so the fridge is empty when I'm home for break).

I got one whole chicken and a pack of 6 drums.  All organic and free-range!

Here is the plan in brief.

1. roast chicken (and drums)
2. Once roasted, cut breast off of carcass and use in chicken and chickpeas
3. Add white wine and water and drumsticks to dutch oven containing the chicken and simmer for 1 to 4 hours
4. Remove bones and use remaining "chicken soup" in chicken, rice, and mushrooms dish

Here is the plan in greater detail including photos.

My new strategy for browning a whole chicken is to roast it.  For efficiency, I roasted it in the dutch oven I would then stew it in.  Here it is before going into the oven and after.
 


I did the same with the drumsticks.

  

Next step is to remove the breast from the chicken.


Here you see the carcass with half the breast removed, followed by the carcass with the whole breast removed.
Next I cover it all, including the extra drums in water, bring to a boil, and let simmer a good long time.



I cut up the breast for the chicken and chickpeas.


Next, I turn to the veggies for both dishes.  Onions and peppers for the chicken and chickpeas and onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms for the chick with rice and mushrooms.




And little-by-little, with much effort to find gaps between photos to get cooking done, the two dishes come together simultaneously.

First, the photos for the chicken and chickpeas:



                                   




And now the photos of the chicken with rice and mushrooms.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment