Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chickpeas with tofu, onions, peppers, and tomato sauce

If I'm organized, I like starting with dried chickpeas, which only take a couple hours to pre-soak in hot water and then cook.


See those pretty peas!

Next, I chop the peppers and onions and then brown them in a dutch oven.
           
Add white wine and stir the brown up off of the dutch oven floor.  Add tofu, salt, and allow to simmer.
Add the cooked chickpeas and then the tomato sauce, and then cook down to right level of soupiness, and serve. 




2 comments:

  1. How long do you soak and then how long do you cook the dried chickpeas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soak chickpeas in hot water for one hour. well, the water starts hot. I bring chickpeas in water to a boil in a covered pot and then turn off and let sit.

    after 1 hour, I drain, add new water, bring to boil, and simmer. I think they are soft enough in one hour, maybe even sooner. I usually go a little longer cause I'm still chopping or cooking other things.

    ReplyDelete